How we collect information
ToMS may collect personal information from you in the following ways: (1) directly from your verbal or written input; (2) automatically through ToMS website technologies including tracking online, such as by Web cookies (which are small text files created by websites that are stored on your computer), by smart devices, by combining data sets, by collecting data from a browser or device for use on a different computer or device, or by using algorithms to analyze a variety of data such as records of location data.
Information you provide
The types of personal information that ToMS collects directly from you may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- Internet Protocol ("IP") addresses used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Educational and professional interests;
- Tracking codes such as cookies;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you provide to ToMS (including through a ToMS website);
- Communication preferences;
- Search history;
- Communications with other users of ToMS services.
Use of your information
ToMS may use your personal information in the performance of any contract we enter into with you, to comply with legal obligations, or where ToMS has a legitimate business interest in using your information to enhance the services and products we provide. Legitimate business purposes include but are not limited to one or all of the following: providing direct marketing and assessing the effectiveness of promotions and advertising; modifying, improving or personalizing our services, products and communications; detecting fraud; investigating suspicious activity and otherwise keeping our site safe and secure; and conducting data analytics.
In addition, we may use your information in the following ways (after obtaining your consent, if required):
- To provide you with information about products and services that you request from us;
- To provide you with information about other products, events and services we offer that are either (i) similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about, or (ii) entirely new products, events and services;
- For internal business and research purposes to help enhance, evaluate, develop, and create ToMS websites (including usage statistics, such as “page views” on ToMS websites and the products therein), products, and services;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites, products, or services;
- To administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical, and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service; and
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time.
Personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that, unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, personal information will be securely destroyed, put beyond use or erased from ToMS systems when it is no longer required or, where applicable, following a request from you to destroy or erase your personal information.
Disclosure and sharing of your information
ToMS will not disclose to or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third party except as follows:
- Where necessary in connection with services provided by third parties (i) who provide us with a wide range of office, administrative, information technology, production, payment, or business management services, and (ii) who are required to comply with this policy;
- Where you voluntarily provide information in response to an advertisement from a third party;
- Where your consent has been provided, with a third party such as an academic institution, school, employer, business or other entity which has provided you with access to a product or service through an integration or access code, information may be shared regarding your engagement with the service or product, results of assessments taken and other information you input into the product or service;
- Where ToMS is required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities and government agencies, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; to comply with a subpoena or other legal process; when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others; and to investigate fraud; and
- Where all or substantially all of the business or assets of ToMS relating to our services are sold, assigned, or transferred to another entity.
If necessary in connection with providing publishing services on behalf of third parties, such as institutions and societies, ToMS may disclose navigational and transactional information in the form of anonymous, aggregate usage statistics and demographics information that does not reveal your identity or personal information.
Cross border transfers
We will use appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect your data. Access to your personal data will be restricted to only those who need to know that information and required to perform their job function. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and security of your information.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider ("ISP"), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer the site.
You have the right to make a written request to be informed whether or not we hold or process any of your personal information. In your written request, you may:
- Request that we provide you with details of your personal information that we process, the purpose for which it is processed, the recipients of such information, the existence of any automated decision making involving your personal information, and what transfer safeguards we have in place;
- Request that we rectify any errors in your personal information;
- Request that we delete your personal information if our continued processing of such information is not justified;
- Request that we transfer your personal information to a third party;
- Object to automated decision-making and profiling based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest (in which event the processing will cease except where there are compelling legitimate grounds, such as when the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract between us);
- Object to direct marketing from us; and
- Object to processing for purposes of scientific, historical research and statistics.
Any comments, complaints or questions concerning this policy or complaints or objections about our use of your personal information should be addressed by directing your comments to the ToMS Editor-in-Chief (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dean of the Faculty of Maritime Studies (email@example.com) or Rector of the University of Split (firstname.lastname@example.org).